City of San Antonio Flag 3 ft. x 5 ft. Nylon
The City of San Antonio’s first official flag was designed in 1935 by William Herring, deputy commander of the Texas Department of United War Veterans. Herring designed the flag for the national convention of the United Spanish War Veterans being held in San Antonio that year. The original design featured the Alamo superimposed in the center of a white Lone Star of Texas. The Lone Star shined from a field of one-half blue, representing loyalty, and one-half crimson red, which represents the blood that courses through the veins of every loyal Texan. Originally, the words “San Antonio” and “Texas” were printed across the top and bottom of the flag. City commissioners unofficially adopted the flag in 1935 and two copies were made, one for City Hall and the other for the Chamber of Commerce. However, no action was taken to formally adopt the flag’s design until 1976. In 1992, the flag was redesigned on the recommendation of Henry P. “Pete” Van de Putte, Jr to Mayor Nelson Wolf. The white star and the Alamo were enlarged, and the words “San Antonio Texas “ were removed to make the flag design more practical, attractive, and vexillologically significant. City Council passed a resolution to alter the flag’s design to the more practical design that is used today.
|Brand||Dixie Flag Mfg. Co.|
|Country of Origin||No|